|Viral load of 3 million
Apr 19, 2008
My brother quit taking his HIV drugs two years ago. A year ago he had his viral load tested and it was still undectable. Last week he ended up in the hospital with Septic Shock and his viral load came back as 3 million. I do not know what his CD4 count is. How serious is this? What is the difference between HIV vs AIDs?
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
HIV infection becomes AIDS when the CD4 count is < 200 or < 14%. That is when the immune system is significantly impaired so that a person is susceptible to very serious opportunistic infections. A HIV viral load of 3 million is very high. An increase in viral load like that in the absence of HIV treatment is mostly likely the result of the infection causing sepsis. In most cases, the viral load will drift back down after the underlying infection is controlled or cured.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can You Contract HIV From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Ear Infection After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Urethra After Getting Fingered Worried I Have
- Swollen Glands After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- White Tongue After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.