Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: Lab using a new assay (and clade question)
Apr 13, 2008

This is regarding the question you answered on March 16, 2008. I checked with the lab: the switch was made from the Roche COBAS Amplicor to the Roche COBAS Ampliprep/Taqman (real-time PCR).

I had a follow-up question about clades. I'm 99% certain that I was infected in the U.S. (the Midwest to be a bit more specific), so I would have the group M, clade B virus. (The new test is supposed to detect HIV-1 values across clades A-H, group M.) But what if this weren't the case? I.e., what if I had been infected elsewhere, with a non-B clade virus? A sentence from a Canadian laboratory source: "However, for patients who have an endemic source for the HIV infection, i.e. higher likelihood of non-B clade, it is still a good idea to submit a baseline sample for clade and b-DNA testing." Do you agree?

The Midwestern university hospital where my bloodwork is done doesn't have/offer branched-DNA viral load testing. (Is that odd or normal?) My VL is 50 to 70 cpm, so very low (without meds). Two questions: I'd like to make sure I'm clade B -- what specific test should I request from the HIV nurse I see every quarter? And: would a research center like Aaron Diamond in New York (say) perform a b-DNA test for me with simply a self-referral?

Thank you, once again, for your time and expertise.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

There should be no problem with the real time PCR assay in detecting various clades. Since there is essentially no virus in your plasma to detect what clade you have, it would likely require cellular DNA from blood cells. I can't speak to whether this lab would perform such a test.

Previous
cd4 2000 vl undect wbc elevation
Next
quick question re hiv & travel to U.S.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.