Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Big Confussion
Apr 6, 2008

04/05/08 Hello Dr Mark, Recently i hav been diagnos,reason for that i got sick in jan 08 it took a week i had flu & cold later in march 3rd i got sick again because of bad weather i went to my doctor he gave few shots & antibiotic meds like prednisone.if i take shot one time i get well in few hours & feel to do somthing this time it took over 2weeks & doctor ask me for blood test like cbc & other test to find if i hav any other infection since he knew i have herpes he recomend to get HIV test to & i said ok as he (doc) find out test was positive he send it to western bolt which he explains its called double checked & wb report comes positive to. The langua of report really confuse me a lot it say 'Interpretive Criteria (CDC/ASTPHHD): Negetive =No bands;No Antibodies detected. Positive =Any two of the following bands: P24,GP41,or GP120/GP160. Inconclusive = Bands present,but inconsistent with positive criteria. Person recently seroconverting may have INDETERMINATE results.If followed for 4-6 months,patterns become more typical. Person in low risk groups may have indeterminate results which may be nonspecific and do not become typical with time.This report even says 'gp120ab Equivocal & gp 41ab Equivocal' rest of all 8 are showing present.This statement is confusing me a lot,right now my virus load is around 724 som & T cells count is over 988.everybody say this numbers r good,body composition is accurate,liver and immun system is very well no damages hav been found so far,i did got tyford shot & flu shot in short i m under well treatment i m happy with my doctor n treatment.what r the minimum viral counts which says not detectable,som how i feel since the viral load is so low & immune system is working so well n had not damage anything so far even i m feel great health wise just mentally disturb because of this news n lost job,i might want few educated people like u to make me realize Yes this reports r the final report i feel it might show negative one day there r some chances of mistakes.can u plz guide me more what should i do,can get married to any negetive girl if i find my agr is 33yrs can i hav baby is it safe being doing this all under doctors treatment,i m in Texas.plz let me know whay should i do hav a bless day

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I would not be concerned about the western blot interpretation comments. You HIV screening test, western blot and viral load test are all positive. Your viral load is very low, and your CD4 count is in the normal range. These are all good signs that your immune system is doing a good job controlling the virus on its own and you don't need any HIV treatment at this point. You certainly could get married and have children. You must practice safe sex with any sex partners. Having children is a little tricky given that special techniques would need to be done to make sure that the sperm don't contain any HIV. But this can be done.

Previous
HIV + Travelling to U.S.
Next
Huge VLoad

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.