Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Understanding my white boold count
Mar 22, 2008

I have a question concerning lab results, i have been HIV+ for about 12 years and have been off my meds for about 4 to 5 months. My results came back as Viral Load over 100,000, CD4 56, blood platelets were 107,000 and white blood cell count of 3. My doctor mentioned possiable bome marrow infection, due to a low white cell count. So iam confused should i get a check for leukimia or any other bone marrow infections. Lately i have been feeling bad, body aches, sore throat, starting to get congested, and just feeling overall bad. So i guess what i need is some suggetions on what to pursue further or am i getting parinoid.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Leukemia is a blood cell cancer, not an infection. However, given that very low CD4 count and low levels of other blood cells, it is quite possible that you have some kind of opportunistic infection in the bone marrow. There are two approaches to this. One is to get back on effective HIV treatment immediately, to reduce the risk of infections and see if your blood counts go up just by controlling HIV. The other is to get a bone marrow biopsy and see if anything abnormal can be found and treated. I would favor the former.

Previous
T-cell count
Next
How do things look?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.