Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

T-cell count
Mar 22, 2008

my 22 year old son was diagnosed a week ago with AIDS when admitted to hospital with what was determined as PCP. His t-cell count is 30, has extensive brain atrophy and his heart shows signs of at least 3 heartattacks, has a small hole and appears to be that of an 8o yr old man. He has lost about 40 lbs in a month and is keeping nothing down including his meds which he just started. With this low of a t-cell count what are the odds of making it back to HIV status just so that we have some idea of what we are looking at and what direction we should be going in. With counts this low is the chance of spreading it to others increased, we use gloves and wash everthing in hot water.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

HIV treatment could effectively control his infection, even in someone with advanced AIDS. However, it is not clear what the severity of the brain or heart findings are and how they may contribute to the overall prognosis. I think what you are doing is sufficient to prevent infection transmission.

Previous
RPR, Serum
Next
Understanding my white boold count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.