Telling your children

My former husband just informed me that he has Aids and has know about this since 2005. He knows his liver has been affected and should get the results on his levels sometime this week. Our children are 17 and 18 and know something is wrong w/ their dad. When and how do we tell them everything?

Although he is HIV infected, not clear whether he has AIDS or not. That depends on what his CD4 count or percent is (< 200 or < 14%). If you say his liver is infected, that could also mean he has hepatitis virus C or B infection in addition to HIV. I think it is best to have all the lab data, diagnoses, and prognosis in hand before telling your children. They are clearly old enough to know about HIV (from TV or the internet, and may know someone who has it) and should be told in a honest and direct fashion.

What should I do to guard against common deseases
Decrease VL, Decrease CD4