The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What should I do to guard against common deseases

Mar 16, 2008

I have a fairly strong immune system after 22 years of knowing that I have HIV. I have been infected with stupid stuff like TB, Parasites, food born infections, plus colds. In my city there are things like influenza, and mercaid to name a few. What are the risk factors I should be educated on, in order to avoid such malidies? Also what else may be out there that I can avoid. My VL is 0.0 and my CD4 is over 400 with the help of medication. No one seems to discuss strategies to avoid infections. There are plenty of things to do as an after fact. I may be wrong but I think it is better not to activate my immune system therefore giving the HIV more targets to attact.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Given your excellent CD4 count and viral load, it is very unlikely that any serious opportunistic infections that affect patients with AIDS (CD4 count < 200) will bother you. It is important to get all the relevant vaccines like pneumovax, hepatitis A/B vaccines, influenza, etc, to protect yourself from those infections that can be prevented. It comes down to good hand hygiene and preventing or removing yourself from situations where you might come upon people that are likely to be infected with this or that.

cd4 and low sed rate
Telling your children

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint