Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could mono and HIV be linked?
Mar 8, 2008

Hi, I am a 21 year old male and during the month of Jan I became terribly ill. Maybe about the 3rd week in Jan and it lasted for about 3 weeks. I had terrible stomach pains, fevers, felt weak, vomited like maybe twice, loss of apetite, and a lil bit of fatigue. I also had a sore throat during the first couple days of the sickness. But before this sickness began, I had became sick like twice before within 3 weeks but it was mild. A headache and sore throat, a little coughing with mucus, but it didnt last no longer then maybe 3 or 4 days. But this sickness lasted about 3 weeks. I was cared for by two different Medical Docters. The first one I saw diagnosed my sickness as an Upper Respiratory Infection, Pharyngitis and Laryngitis, and some viral symptoms. He gave me a shot for the strep throat he said and sum pills to take for it also and sent me home. By the next week I still wasnt feeling better so I went and saw another docter. This time they took blood work and urine from me and did lab test. The test came back and the docter said it was a Urinary Tract Infection in which I didnt know males could get. She prescribed the medicine "bactrim" to me and instructed me to take it for 3 days every 8 hours. After completing taking all the medications, I started getting better like 3 days afterwards. Then once I was well I noticed that I was left with knots/lumps underneath my neck and near the throat area. You cant notice them by looking at them you have to touch them. I also had knots/lumps in the groin area. Not knowing what was goin on I went to see the docter but was unable to because I was told I had to make an appointment but I explained to the nurse what was goin on wit me and she said that my lymph nodes were inflammed. Scared I decided to go get tested for HIV and syphillis. I had been tested 3 times before within the past 4 years for both diseases and all test were non-reactive (negative). But this time my syphillis test came back negative but the HIV positive. I am so scared and confused. I was given a rapid HIV test so now I am awaiting results to come back from the Western test or whatever that maybe. But I need some answers and help bad! I have been doing research and came across several things. I came across Mono and the symptoms I was having are similar to the symptoms of mono. Could my the HIV test be misdiagnosed as mono or some other infection from my sickness? I had also just started taking "Cod Liver Oil" tablets a couple of days before I got sick to give me vitamins. Could that have triggered my sickness and caused a flaw in the test? Also I was told by a physician in 2006 that I had stomach ulcers and I thought that maybe that was the cause of my sickness being that I never took medications for it. Could that be a cause? Can a docter please shed some insight on this situation and answer all of my questions! PLEASE!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You need to wait for the western blot confirmatory test.

Previous
Viral Load Numbers
Next
Just diagnosed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.