Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How important is undectectable
Mar 1, 2008

Hello,

I take Atripla and have no resistances. When I went to the doctor in October 2007, the numbers were CD4: 574/31%, vl: 151 and in Feb. 2008: CD4: 589/31%, vl: <50. I asked my doctor who is an experienced ID clincian, what she would do if the vl increased but remained below 500. She said if the medication were well-tolerated and being taken as perscribed, then she would do nothing. She said that a vl of <500 had no significantly increased chance of resistance. My question is if that is accurate. Everything I read talks about a vl less than 50 and people seem obsessed with getting the vl to that level. Is my doctor wrong? I got the impression that she feels that <50 is an arbitrary number because the vl tests can now detect down to that point where as years ago the vl tests couldn't detect less than 500. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I agree with your doctor. It certainly is better to have consistently undetectable viral loads. however, data from several studies indicate that blips up to 500 or so in viral load are not associated with antiviral failure, particularly if the viral load alternates between undetectable and low positive. Most of these blips are associated with assay variability and not failure. If however the viral load stays positive and begins to creep above 1,000 or so, then it is likely that treatment failure has occurred.

Previous
viral load 300
Next
what happens if treatment not successful

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.