Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My new results - follow up...
Feb 3, 2008

Dear Dr Holodniy,

thanks for your kind reply. Please find "attached" my previous message.

My doctor says that this results are stable, and asked me to wait 6 months for new tests.

I'm a little concerned about this. What are the odds for a dramatic decrease of my CD4 cells during 6 months?

You wrote that I might be on medications some time in the future. I entirely understand that progress of HIV infection is unpredictable and you cannot say "you will start meds on 23 October 2008 at 3.15 pm", but do think it's a matter of months or 1 or 2 year?

My doctor also says that the much-feared lypodystrophy is something that should not concern me as new medications are better tolerated. Is that so?

Thanks,

H.

Dear Dr Holodniy,

I have just received my new lab results (not on medications):

CD4 538 CD4% 26 VL 64,000

Here is my clinic history:

01/07 exposed 02/07 seroconverted 06/07 tested positive 06/07: CD4 474, CD4% 28%, VL 55,000. 08/2007: CD4 478, CD4% 28, VL 50,000. 10/2007: CD4 558, CD4% 26, VL 50,000. 01/2008: CD4 538, CD4% 26, VL 63,000.

The cd4 count is stable. The cd4% and steadly gone from 28 to 26 in a few months. The viral load sort of stable, but up to 64,000.

I would be grateful if you could comment on these results: could you predict how long will I wait before starting treatment (CD4 350)?

Is this a slow (doubt it), fast or average progression?

Thank you very much for your help.

H.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Unlikely you will have any dramatic changes in your counts in the next 6 months and unlikely you would be on meds in the next 1-2 years. Your doctor is correct for the most part.

Previous
Low Platelet HIV Treatment
Next
viral load ranges for first year of infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.