Low Platelet HIV Treatment
Feb 3, 2008
How do you Feel About AZT in the Treatment of Low Platelet Count of an HIV Infected Patient. It would seem Spleen Removal is Radical and would effect the Immune Systems abitlity to effectively combat the HIV. Is the Spleen not instrumental to the immune system? I have heard there are bacteria that could cause substancial risk at the time of removal as well.
Response from Dr. Holodniy
AZT was found in earlier studies to result in improvement in platelet count. There is less data in the modern era about other drugs. It is not clear if newer drugs are less effective or less studied. yes the spleen is an important organ for containing infections. But one can survive pretty well without one. Again, that would be the last resort.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sore Throat Worried It Could Be HIV
- Flaky Skin After Vaginal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Oral Ulcers After Having Sex During Period Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Oral Ulcers After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Penis After Sex With Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Pain In Penis After Topping With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.