The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Low Platelet

Feb 2, 2008

I too have been positive for 20 Years with no anti-virals. Mr Dr. suggested starting me on HIV Anti-Virals despite my levels were still undetectable and Cd-4 was 480. I resisted. But I bruise severely. My platlets are 13000 and they were 21000. Ive been on Atripla for a month with no results. The HIV is undetectable and the Cd-4 is now 700. I saw a blood specialist and he said the Anti-Bodies were attaching to my platelets. How can I address this platelet situation. I can even be touched without bruising.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Sometimes low platelets can be the result of HIV infection, and HIV treatment can sometimes resolve the situation. It is good you have sought the advice of a hematologist. He may correct that you have an immune reaction that is causing a low platelet count. It is important to determine whether you have a production problem (bone marrow not making platelets) or a consumption/destruction (platelets being destroyed) problem. Sometimes infusions of immunoglobulin or steroids can help. A more radical approach is to surgically remove the spleen, which can sometimes act like a big sponge in continually removing platelets from you blood. I would stick with the hematologist to get to the cause and possible treatment solutions.

how well am I doing on meds
Was AIDS the cause of death?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint