Can HIV & HBV treatment have effects on kidneys

I recently started Atripla to treat both my HIV and HBV, although the reason I was urged to begin treatment was my HBV, elevated liver functions - my HIV was doing okay, with cd4 at 450 and VL at about 14k. i recently went for an ultrasound of my abdominal area but it will be some time before I have a follow up appointment with my gastro doc. I have been having pain in my lower back, on the left side in particular, and I am wondering if this could be my liver or even my kidneys. All of this has led me to wonder, can Atripla or other hiv/hbv treatment methods be harmful to the kidney(s) - what could be the cause of this pain, and are there any kinds of other tests that I should be performing regularly to monitor my kidneys as well? and lastly, if gone untreated, what harm can kidney damage cause? thanks

pb

Yes, Atripla (the tenofovir component) can cause kidney problems. But, it would be more a functional issue or time, and would not be likely to cause acute pain like you are describing. Many things from muscular problems to internal organ issues could be causing this. Sounds like you need to go back to your doc on this one.

cd4 vl
confused about cd4 and my health right now