Freaking Out At Test Results

I was diagnosed positive in summer of 2006 when I was sero converting. My MD thinks I was likley infected in May of '06 or so. While my initial 300,000 viral load quickly reduced, for the last year and 1/2 I was at 17,000 - 22,000 viral load (my T-cells were in the mid to high 400 range). While I feel great my last test results floored me. My t-Cells remained the same but my viral load went over 100,000. I was hoping to stay off meds as long as possible or at least have a gradual increase to contemplate meds and then this huge spike. I fear my MD's may be sugar coating the conclusion from such a spike. Is this normal? Should I be concerned that I have a very active virus or weak imune system? Does this affect the likelihood of a good sustainable drug treatment plan or will I likley be one of those who have to constantly change drug regimens and run out of options instead of being on one good treatment plan for a long time? Is this bad news for my body being able to live with this virus? I am worried sick over this development. Thanks

A 5 fold increase would be considered significant if it was consistently sustained. If you didn't have any kind of acute infection or vaccination when the test was done, which could account for such an abrupt increase, it is likely to not be significant. I would just have it repeated and see where you stand.

question
Estimated time until I need medication