The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

potential to bring the T cell number up

Dec 24, 2007

My brother has just told my sister and me that he has AIDs; his doctor has told us his T cells number is in the double digits and has not given us any idea as to his viral load number. He was diagnosed in November when he was admitted to the hospital with PCP pneumonia, he has since had reaction to some medications for thrush in each case when he was brought to the hospital he was on deaths door but within a day or two he bounced back. Also he has not started the AIDs medication and plans on starting it in a few days, he and his doctors want to make sure that if he has a reaction that they will know which medication it is that he is reacting to. My question is, is there potential to bring the T cell number up above the 200 level with the medication? I know each case is different but is this common that people get diagnosed with very low T cell numbers and what I am assuming to be very high viral load numbers and to recover? At this point it is difficult, I have call a few clinics in my area to get educated, because the web can give conflicting answers, and have had little success. I appreciate any information you can give, thanks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is fairly common, unfortunately, to be diagnosed with HIV infection rather late. It is also common to have very low CD4 counts and after starting HIV treatment see the CD4 count increase to over 200.

Answer to "what is a quad virus"?
Can't Sustain Over 200

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint