potential to bring the T cell number up

My brother has just told my sister and me that he has AIDs; his doctor has told us his T cells number is in the double digits and has not given us any idea as to his viral load number. He was diagnosed in November when he was admitted to the hospital with PCP pneumonia, he has since had reaction to some medications for thrush in each case when he was brought to the hospital he was on deaths door but within a day or two he bounced back. Also he has not started the AIDs medication and plans on starting it in a few days, he and his doctors want to make sure that if he has a reaction that they will know which medication it is that he is reacting to. My question is, is there potential to bring the T cell number up above the 200 level with the medication? I know each case is different but is this common that people get diagnosed with very low T cell numbers and what I am assuming to be very high viral load numbers and to recover? At this point it is difficult, I have call a few clinics in my area to get educated, because the web can give conflicting answers, and have had little success. I appreciate any information you can give, thanks.

It is fairly common, unfortunately, to be diagnosed with HIV infection rather late. It is also common to have very low CD4 counts and after starting HIV treatment see the CD4 count increase to over 200.

Answer to "what is a quad virus"?
Can't Sustain Over 200