Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Don't understand?
Dec 9, 2007

Hello, it's been a year since I find out that my x-boyfriend who had AIDS give me HIV. Then again I don't know he may have had HIV at the time. I get tested every 3 month clockwise, my frist test result was high on my VL like over (12thou) then as time went on it went down to like (5thou) and my CB4 is nery high. What I can't understand about these test result is after 2-3 years is this virus going to take over my body and I'm I going to then be a AIDS person who have to take meds every day? Then why is it I feel good every day and have all this energy. What do that mean? Can you give me little more understanding on my count and load. Thank just don't know....

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what your CD4 count and percent actually is. Assuming the CD4 count is > 500 and your viral is 5,000, then this indicates that your own immune system is doing a great job in controlling the infection by itself, and at this point you don't need HIV treatment. Unlikely if your CD4 remains high and in the normal range that you would see progression to AIDS. And it would be unlikely that any doctor would allow that to happen, as treatment would be started much sooner to prevent AIDS from developing.

Previous
cd4 viral load
Next
Average life span

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.