Pharmacokinetics

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

Thanks for answering my previuos question. Specifically, I'm looking for effects of HIV protease inhibitors (HPIs) on insulin signalling pathway at cellular level. From my literature reviews, I found that HPIs most probably caused insulin resistance in HIV infected patients. Most of the literature reviews based on clinical study and there have only a few studies the effect of the drugs at cellular level. So, in order to understand the mechanisms of the drugs induced the insulin resistance, I want to design an experiment using cell culture. I want to make a comparative study between the drug concentration in vivo and in vitro.

So far, I used saquinavir to observed this effect. I found from journals and my experiments that 30microMolar to 40microMolar of saquinavir is the lowest concentration that non-cytotoxic to the cells but induced the insulin resistance. I'm not sure whether the concentration that I have been used are acceptable and comparable to the in vivo study. I have been tried to find from internet and journals about this study. Unfortunately, I didn't get the information until now. In the meantime, I have no idea in pharmacokinetics study. Can you help me please at least to give the basic review about this field.

Hope to here from you.

Many thanks, Best Regards,

Sounds interesting but beyond the scope of this forum, which is for answering questions about laboratory results for HIV patients.

AST/ALT elevation
lower CD4 & undetectable viral load