Viral Load Fluctuation

I am a 35-year old male, and I was diagnosed in August 2001. At that time, my viral load was >1,000,000 and my cd4 count was approximately 600. I immediately began Sustiva, Ziagen, and Epivir (currently I take Sustiva and Epzicom). One year after treatment, my viral load dropped to <50 and stayed undetectable until 2006 (my cd4 count has consistently been 1200-1800). In February 2006, my viral load blipped up to 224. In May, it again dropped to <50 and stayed there until February 2007. In February, my viral load blipped up to 126. In May, it dropped again to <50. My last lab results in September showed my viral load increased to 70. My doctor said he does not believe any resistance has occurred, and I have not missed any doses. Can you offer an explanation for the fluctuation?

I agree with your doctor. This is likely related to assay variation and therefore are not real increases. I would not be concerned about it.

t cells and cd4
recently diagnosed, low CD4 count