Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just Diagnosed VL & CD4+ CD4%
Sep 29, 2007

Hi! I have been diagnosed HIV+ at the end of July 2007. The test showed a VL of 37476, CD4 Count of 341 and CD% of 23.8% All other blood tests showed no problems (all within normal healthy persons ranges) and liver/kidney fuction tests at normal. I am 40 yo and so far absolutely healthy with a history of very good family health and longlivety too. As everyone else in here, I would like to live until I am very, very old and with no other health problems, but HIV might have just damaged that chance. I would also like to do everything in my power to stay healthy without HAART for as long as possible. Others (including my HIV Doctor) say that the above results are not bad others (I can see in here) say that they are "worrying". Should i start worrying?

Also I am worried about KS. Am I right thinking that to get KS you need to be infected by the HHV8 virus and if yes, can this virus been lying dormant in our body for years? Can I get a test to see if I got it? If I am "clear" is there anyother way I could get it except unprotected sexual contact and if yes, how?

I think I have been infected Febuary 2007.

I do not drink or smoke or take any recreational drugs eat a very healthy mediteranian diet and take my supplements (including multivitamis including selenium and green tea extract containing at least 136mg of EGCG 3 times a day).

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I agree with your doctor that your results are not bad. However, they are on the borderline as to when I would suggest starting HIV treatment. You need another couple of sets of numbers to know where things are going. But it is likely HIV treatment is in your future.

Yes, KS is associated with HHV8, it does lie dormant in your body until some later time and likely that sexual transmission is the major way to acquire it. There are commercial tests for both the HHV8 DNA and antibodies that can be ordered.

Previous
help with HCV test results
Next
Progress

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.