Sep 2, 2007
I started sustiva and truvada (soon to be atripla) about 3 1/2 months after exposure last year with a vl of >100,000 and cd4 of 266. If I remain undectable with a normal cd4 count, will I lose brain cells and descend into dementia? Do the meds I am on penetrate the spinal fluid and brain?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
All of the meds in Atripla are great for the brain so to speak. So no, once undetectable, you won't descend into HIV dementia. Now many other things along the road of life can still cause dementia in a person (stroke, other infections, etc).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Long After Unprotected Sex Does It Take To Know You May Have A Std?
- Vaginal Discharge Viral Infection Complications
- What Are Some Short-term Effects Of Std's?
- Can Having The Flu Interfere With The Hiv Test Results?
- Enjoying Sex Gay Mixed Stats Couples
- Frequency Of Delayed Seroconversion After Coinfection
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.