10+ years medication free, should he start now?

My brother was diagnosed HIV positive over 10 years ago. His body has been able to fight the battle valiantly, however when he gave me the numbers from his most recent pull, i became concerned. His VL is at 14,000 and his CD4 is at 302. I realize that the VL essentially tells how fast your T4 cells are being killed by HIV, and your CD4 tells you how long you have to go until you develop AIDS. In this situation, his CD4 is low, but so is his VL. He was warned his previous pull that he may need to begin medication depending on the results, but his doctor hasn't brought it up since. Should he be starting meds at this point in time? or should he wait until his next pull which is in about 6 months? I am concerned and just want to make sure he is being informed correctly.

Unfortunately you have only given me one point on the line. It would be helpful to know what the values were 6, 12 or 18 months ago, to know where the trend is going. He is at a level that I would recommend treatment, and even more so if the CD4 count and CD4 percent have declined significantly in the last year or so.

How long a person not show any symptom of Hiv
cd4/vl