Apr 11, 2001
On April 7th you said,..."The currently available PCR test for HIV DNA, will NOT pick up HIV-2 DNA."
Wonderful!! I am slowly but surely gettting over my HIV fear, having convinced myself after testing undetectable DNA PCR and negative Elisa that I am o.k.,..and now i get to worry about HIV-2.
what is HIV-2, and why isn't anyone testing for it?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
HIV-2 is a cousin of HIV-1. It is generally located in West African countries and sporadically in Asia. There have been less than 100 cases of HIV-2 reported in the U.S. compared to 1 million HIV-1 cases.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Swollen Lymph Nodes A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Dry Cough After Erotic Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Oral Ulcers After Open Mouth Kissing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Red Eyes After Erotic Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Testicular Pain After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.