Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Great immune response without meds?
Jul 29, 2007

I've been positive for 2 years. 6 months ago my vl was 95,000 and cd4 was 610 and about 38%. My test last week revealed that my vl had gone down to 17,000! My cd8% is at 70% and my cd4 currently at 450 and 30%. Do you think my immune system is suprising me with a strong come back? I was ecited by the results as I've been on a STI for a year due to liver inflamation. I went on meds right after diagnosis due to cd4 of 300 and vl of 700,000.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I am not sure I would be so happy. Although your viral load has decreased, so has your CD4 count and percentage. You may be one of those folks whose viral load stays somewhat lower after an STI. I would predict though that as more time goes by, your CD4 may drift down further. I don't think there is anything to do now. You have a great CD8 response. But treatment may be in your future.

Previous
HIV and Syphilis Coinfection
Next
Questions for the doctor

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.