The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBeAg + or - ?

Jun 23, 2007

Hello, I was diagnosed with active Hep B Chronic virus in March 2003. Fibrosis level: 1.5. Since then I have been taking Lamiduvine 100 mg. After the first 3 months of Lamiduvine, my HBV-DNA became indetectable (<1000 copies/ml). But after more than 4 years of Lamiduvine, my HBeAg is still positive with now 1.17 s/co (latest lab test). Actually the HBeAg level has been varying between 1.17 - 1.5 for the last 2 - 3 years. HBsAg (+) >250IU/ml; Anti-HBs (-) 0mIU/ml ; Anti-HBe (-) 1.55 s/co ; Anti-HBc (+) 9.07 s/co My liver test lab show normal every time we have one, I get tested and see the doctor every 3-4 months and every time, the doctor spends 30 sec with me and says I am fine. I was in CA before but have been in China for about 3 years now. I know that China uses different limits. With my level of HBeAg, would I be considered "Negative HBeAg" in hte United States? Thanks a lot,

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It sounds like you are in the group of those that have an initial response to lamivudine and may have a viral load response, but are still HBV e antigen positive. The interpretation of this is that you have not cleared the virus and may need a second line treatment regimen that can be effective in people previously treated with lamivudine. You should discuss this with your liver specialist.

HIV, Syphlis & Depression
wb indeterminate

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint