Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New HIV infection?
Jun 23, 2007

My WB HIV-1 antibody test taken on January 29, 2007 came back Positive. I found an Immunologist who ordered a series of blood tests taken March 1, 2007 that resulted in a viral load of less than 400. I knew I was infected with the HIV virus but needed another test to determine how many copies of the HIV virus had replicated. The next tests taken May 22, 2007 resulted in a viral load count of 219... My doctor has ordered more blood tests to be taken this November. My question is: When the first test was taken could my imune system have been depressed as a reult of heavy PNP sessions the weeks before, raising my viral load to a level that was dectectable for the WB antibody test, and then gone down again as my immune system fought back? The reason I want to know is I have been testing negative each year for over 10 years and I hate to think that I was positive but testing negative because of a low viral count. If what I have descibed is possible people need to be aware that the are taking bigger risks that they think they are when they don't play safe with people who think/thought they were neg basded on very recnt HIV tests (like me).

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is possible that certain activities can activate viral replication resulting in transient increases in viral load. I suspect though that your viral load increase is the result of viral load assay variability and not a real increase.

Previous
HBV DNA interpertation
Next
recent seroconversion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.