The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medical Proof to Support Case

May 27, 2007

My partner who I have been with since December 2006 never told me that he was positive and proceeded having unsafe sex with me. I got tested positive in middle March and told my partner a week after. Shocked at his reaction towards me telling him I asked him about his status and he said tht he has been positive since May 2006 and didn't want to tell me out of fear of loosing me.

Anyway, I am in the process of sueing him now, but the doctors I am seeing aren't being very helpful and tells me there is no proof they can provide me with that point to the fact that he gave me the virus?

I've heard about tests that can give an indication of when about I was infected. And what about HIV strains? Is it not a fact that we will have the same strain if he infected me?

At the moment all I have to go on is that he didn't tell me about his status and had unprotected sex with me which makes it a crimanal offence in EU.

Any help or pointers in any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, R

Response from Dr. Holodniy

There are tests which can determine the relatedness of virus strains. These tests are not commercially available, and are performed mostly for research purposes. It is likely that a defendant would not agree to submit a blood sample for this analysis unless required to by court order.

Massive VL yet increasing CD4, WTF?
viral load less than 40 copies

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint