Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Massive VL yet increasing CD4, WTF?
May 27, 2007

I was diagnosed HIV+ DEC 2006.

Since that time(six months) my VL has gone from 260,800 to 1,090,000, yet my CD4 count has risen slightly from 332(19%) to 445(21.1%).

All of my research thus far leads me to ask, how is this possible? Shouldn't VL change be inversely related to CD4 change?

I'm I just possibly misunderstanding an "economy of scale" thing, i.e. the rate of CD4 cell production by the body is based on many factors other than HIV alone?

I say this because I've been VERY aggressive in improving my general health through diet, exercise, and mental health. Are these "improvements" possibly temporarily off setting cell death from such a high VL, or are the test results really just statistically "the same" CD4 count?

I have M tropic subtype B (no drug resistant mutations), so CCR5-CD4 cells "should" be at highest risk for cell death, correct?

I started treatment just after the one million mark, so I understand that will "reset the picture" to a large degree, but this question is more for my education than "concern".

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE WORK YOU GUYS DO FOR US!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although that increase in absolute CD4 count appears to be significant, the fact that the CD4 percent only increased by 2%, does not make that change significant. The absolute CD4 count can change because of time of day, other ongoing infections, stress, immunizations, meds, among others. The CD4 percent is a more stable number over time.

Previous
Viral Load Dropping Off Meds
Next
Medical Proof to Support Case

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.