cd4 %

Doc,

I was diagnosed back in Dec 06 with a cd4 count of 353 and a vl of 430K and my cd4 percentage at that time was 10%. I found out right after I had my spleen removed. I was put on meds in Feb (Truvada and Kaletra) and my vl has dropped to 680 and my cd4 count is 889 with a 14% cd4 percentage. I have had thrush and MAC which I am on treatment currently for, and they believe it is due to reconstitution syndrome. My question is the CDC states that anything under 14% is considered aids. Allthough my doc hasn't said any about me having aids, I am curious as to know if that is my actual prognoisis or if there is another factor that he was looking at and that is why he never said anything about it. I am confused!!

Your original CD4 percent is much lower than it should be with a CD4 count of 350. With that count it should be in the 15-20% range. Although the absolute CD4 count is a good reflection of where your immune system is, the absolute count is more variable and can be affected by time of day, stress, other ongoing infections, among other reasons, whereas the CD4 percent is more stable over time. Yes, a CD4 percent of < 14% is reflective on an AIDS diagnosis, because those folks with a CD4 < 200 or < 14% are at greater risk for opportunistic infections. I suspect your percent will increase further, but probably no more than about 20%. So by definition, you will no longer have that definition because your immune system has sufficiently recovered.

Atripla
elevated liver enzymes