Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Forgiving?
May 13, 2007

On January of this year, I tested for HIV and was negative. i had both blood and oral tests taken. I (still am) in a "monogamous" relationship for 3 years (gay) and of course I thought that i would never get HIV since I've always been so careful, i used condoms with every lover except for my boyfriend and only in the last year after living together. On April, I decided to have a liposuction because I had love handles that i couldnt get rid off. One of the tests they took as routine was HIV, and i tested positive for HIV type 1. The doctor says that i most certainly got the disease recently, yet my CD4 count is 210, my viral load is 61,000 and my CD3 to CD4 percentage is 28%. Does this mean that my disease is progressing much more rapidly than normal? I am trying to ask my boyfriend when it was that he cheated on me but he says it was only 4 months ago. His lab values are similar to mine. He says he only cheated on me with one other guy and that he used a condom but i don't know if i believe him. I started on Atripla and i still dont know if the medication is working for me or not, havent had a second set of labs taken yet, although i am less tired than before. I am 24 , and I'm worried of getting lipodystrophy. I'm trying to cope with the fact that my boyfriend cheated on me and being positive. I decided to forgive him because i don't want to hate anybody now, but i don't know if i ever will really forgive him. I get angry just thinking about him. Could my labs be so low because i have a supervirus or more than 1 virus? I havent had any other infections yet, but I'm worried because i've read that most people that test HIV positive can have normal values for more than 3 years after initial infection. I know for sure that i havent had HIV for more than 5 months. What could be happening? thank you for responding

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your CD4 percent is much healthier than the absolute number would suggest. It is a more stable number over time. I would predict your absolute count will icrease significantly on tratment. I would hope that your doctor would have got a resistance test before starting meds. Given this likely recent infection, the possibility of having received a drug resistant strain is possible.

Previous
viral load
Next
never on meds pos for 25 years

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.