Dramatic Changes in Counts

I was diagnosed HIV+ in October 2005, but have always had VERY low counts and just above non-detectable. I was in hospital for suspected optic neuritis and treated with steroids. My viral load went from less than 400 to more than 60,000. My CD4 was always 1000 and dropped to 298 in one count in the hospital. Is there any explanation for this other than I am getting sicker?

My guess is that it is transient, and associated with the inflammatory reaction in your eye. If things have calmed down with respect to the neuritis, I would just repeat your numbers. Mostly likely things will go back to normal. If the numbers persist, then you are probably facing a decision about HIV treatment.

very confused !
Persistent "lower" abs. CD4 count