The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my brother and HIV

Apr 8, 2007

My brother found out in April of 2007 that he was infected with HIV. I'm so scared for him. My question, is there a way to find out who started the chain of infection? What are the viral load ranges? What does cd4 mean? what does it mean to zero convert? Are there new advances in medical technology or trails to destroy this disease? If so how can one apply to the trails.. Will the pills he is required take damage his kidneys or liver? one more question, if the person who infected my brother knew she had this and did not tell, would this be consider lawful?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Unless he knows for sure, it is unlikely that it could be determined how he got infected. The viral load can range from < 50 (undetectable) to over 1 million. The CD4 cell is the primary cell infected by HIV and is critical to having a good immune system. A normal CD4 count ranges from 500-1500 in uninfected people. Seroconversion is when someone who is HIV infected develops antibodies against the virus that can be detected by standard HIV testing. There are no cures and so this is a chronic viral infection. You don't indicate what his viral load and CD4 count are, so it is difficult to say whether HIV treatment is indicated at this time or not. Yes, some meds can be damaging to certain organs, but not in all people, and usually in people who already have underlying problems in those organs. I don't comment on legal aspects of HIV infection.

Did my Hep-B vaccine work?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint