Natural medicines

I am currently on HAART medications - have been for 3 months now and my CD4 count is slowly beginning to go up.

Two questions, is it too much of a risk to take to come off medications for a while (whilst still being monitored) when my CD4 count rises over 500 (normal range)? And my second question is more out of frustration.

It seems that answers to all natural and alternate medicines questions are responded with "Can't help you with that, no good research/tests have been conducted." When we are talking about how toxic HAART can be to our bodies, then WHY isn't there more research into alternate medicines.

Thanking you in advance...

To answer the first question, it depends on how low your CD4 count was when you started (also called CD4 nadir). If your count was < 200, then the risk for CD4 decline with detectable viral load is greater than if you started with a count > 350. Nothing would happen that quickly if you stop, but lower you started, and the higher the viral load was before treatment, the fast the count will go down.

I can't answer the second question directly. There have been a few funded studies looking at interactions between natural meds (like St. John's wort) and HIV meds. Because there are so many products and there is not enough money to fund good controlled studies, those very important drug interaction studies will probably not be done.

CD4 count
What is going on here???