Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Time for Meds?
Mar 24, 2007

Thank you. I have been more or less a non-progressor since I was diagnosed in October of '99; having been infected somewhere in that past year. My cd4s have hovered in the 400-600 range since day one. My VL was always under 500 and my percentage around 40%. Over the past few tests my cd4s are averaging 380 and my VL is slowly creaping up around 16k with a percentage drop to 35%. I'm 49 and overall in excellent health. Is it times for meds in your opinion? Thanks so much for this forum.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You are clearly on the fence. Your CD4 percent is still quite healthy, but the percent and absolute number are drifting down with a concomitant increase now in your viral load. You may plateau here for a while or see a continued decreased in CD4 count. There is no urgency and so another set of numbers may help determine go or no go. I think if you see a continued decline in both CD4 count and percent, even if small, I would pull the trigger and start.

Previous
Elevated red blood cell count / polycythemia
Next
Does allergic reactions increase unwanted immune activation?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.