Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

recently tested hiv positive
Mar 7, 2007

I was tested hiv+ two weeks ago, when i participated in blood donation. My CD4 counts 252 and my viral load 11000. Doctor said that it is not the time to start any therapy. How much do you agree with that?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Hmmmm... I would like to see another set of numbers soon. You don't indicate whether you have tested negative before and if so how recently. If this is recent or acute HIV infection, then your CD4 count could recover some. I would also like to see the CD4 percent. If it is say < 18%, then that CD4 count is real and probably where you are and will stay. If your repeat numbers show your CD4 count to be about the same, then my recommendation would be to start treatment, regardless of the fact that your viral load is relatively low. Your immune system is moderately impaired and you would like to get the virus under control and get your CD4 count back up.

Previous
Adherence & Timekeeping
Next
what is the viral load if the numbers are

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.