My Liver Mystery

Hi Mark,

I have being living with HIV for about five years and I've been relatively happy with my regimen of Virmaune/Truvada. I decided to switch from Sustiva-Viramune because of the psychological side effects.

I take Lexapro for depression, Neurontin for neuropathy and Diovan for blook pressure. I also take Nexium for acid reflux.

I guess it seems like a lot of medication but I was still surprised to see my elevated liver panels again at my three month check up. My doc had them "re-done" and while they went done some, they were still much higher than normal.

My doc said that individuals on HAART normally have higher liver toxicity and I shouldn't worry.

But I do..mainly because Viramune can be associated with liver toxicity. He looked back on my historical introduction of the drug and didn't feel it was the culprit.

So I remain on the regimen.

My questions:what can I do to be pro-active about my toxic/fatty liver and should I be concerned about Virmaune?

M

You don't indicate what the levels of your liver enzymes were prior to starting nevirapine after switching from sustiva, and what those levels are now. So it is hard to determine the significance of your findings. I assume your other meds have been on board for awhile and the only new medication is nevirapine. Nevirapine can certainly raise liver enzyme levels or could be interacting with your other meds. A good review by the pharmacist could help sort this out further.

health products effect on T-cells ?
questions about a wstern blot