Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can I wait a bit?
Feb 3, 2007

Not on meds, have NNRTI resistance on the recent genotype/phenotype test. These are my VL's since I first was diagnosed:

1/23/07 4,150 12/12/06 5,260 8/25/06 6,940 7/31/06 1,950 4/10/06 1,610 1/26/06 163 12/22/05 276

The resistance test icluded a replication capacity of 21%...my provider says that's good..very low.

My CD4's have been in the 360's to low 500's but the last two were 329 in December then 311 two weeks ago. They tend to bounce around.

My doc says I can wait three more months and check to see if they go up since my VL's are low and the Replication rate is also low. CD4 percentages have ranged from 40-30%

I had been extremely stressed and depressed at the time I got the 311 count, but that's under control now and I feel much better psychologically which may have had an effect on the count. Is it safe to wait a bit? based on the above information.

Does the replication rate have any real meaning?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Given the low viral load and high CD4 percent with a moderate level CD4 count, you can probably wait another 3 months and see where things are going. NNRTI resistance by itself does not usually affect the replication capacity (RC) to that degree. I suspect there are other resistance mutations to other meds that might be causing the low RC. In general, a lower RC has correlated with lower viral loads and higher CD4 cells and lower decline of CD4 cell count over time.

Previous
Weird CD4
Next
Initial HIV RNA test result <75

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.