HIV and endurance sports

Hi. I am 25y old guy that was HIV infected in july 2006. I simultanously got infected by Ebstein Barr infection (diagnosed by negative seology and positic PCR for EB virus).This lead to a quite severe primary infection wich I now started recovering from. I am/was an endurance athlete, doing adventure racing (marathons etc). In first 3 months after being infected I was in a realy bad physical condition from an athletes point of view. Now I started regaining som strength, but I am still around 10-25% slower than before infection. Is it likely that I can come back my original physical condition and start competing again? Is HIV itself toxic to mitochondria or is it only the drug? HOw much does this influence on my physical condition? Any other factors? Is it dangerous for me to do extreme endurance competitions with HIV? My CD4+ count is now around 700. viral load in july was 3 000 000 (primary infection with negative serology) and in september it was 56 000. Is there any data on Ebstein Barr infection and HIV infection together?

Your prior conditioning is in your favor regarding the return to peak form. Some athletes can continue to train aggressively despite having HIV infection. It depends on how much fatigue your may be experiencing with the infection. The virus can affect the mitochondria on its own but not anywhere near the degree of some HIV drugs. I am not aware of simultaneous coinfection with HIV and EBV.

Yet again CD4 vs %
how did i get infected