Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and endurance sports
Dec 17, 2006

Hi. I am 25y old guy that was HIV infected in july 2006. I simultanously got infected by Ebstein Barr infection (diagnosed by negative seology and positic PCR for EB virus).This lead to a quite severe primary infection wich I now started recovering from. I am/was an endurance athlete, doing adventure racing (marathons etc). In first 3 months after being infected I was in a realy bad physical condition from an athletes point of view. Now I started regaining som strength, but I am still around 10-25% slower than before infection. Is it likely that I can come back my original physical condition and start competing again? Is HIV itself toxic to mitochondria or is it only the drug? HOw much does this influence on my physical condition? Any other factors? Is it dangerous for me to do extreme endurance competitions with HIV? My CD4+ count is now around 700. viral load in july was 3 000 000 (primary infection with negative serology) and in september it was 56 000. Is there any data on Ebstein Barr infection and HIV infection together?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your prior conditioning is in your favor regarding the return to peak form. Some athletes can continue to train aggressively despite having HIV infection. It depends on how much fatigue your may be experiencing with the infection. The virus can affect the mitochondria on its own but not anywhere near the degree of some HIV drugs. I am not aware of simultaneous coinfection with HIV and EBV.

Previous
Yet again CD4 vs %
Next
how did i get infected

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.