The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Prognosis for my daughter

Dec 16, 2006

My daughter is 40 yrs. old has been HIV since 1996. She has continued to do drugs and is an alcoholic. She started the HIV medicine about 5 yrs. ago, but only would take for a while, it made her very sick. Of course, continually drinking. This is her problems now: Platelets(her body destroys them) 13,000, T-Cell 64, Dr said a spot on her lungs, has lymphnodes very swollen, even in her chest area and around her heart. They told her they think she may have cancer but because her TCell count is so low, they are afraid this will start an infection. They gave her Bactrim to help fight infections, they have given her prednizone for her platelets, but she doesn't take it very long because it makes her gain weight. She is very tiny, but her stomach is very protruded.

Can you tell me what you think the life expectancy will be? Her doctor has told her that if she keeps up her same lifestyle that she may not live more than 2 mos. Also, neglected to tell you she hasn't been taking her HIV medication for 2 yrs.

I would really appreciate hearing from you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

She has advanced AIDS and likely has either a malignancy or infection in her lung. Lifestyle changes are required ASAP. Starting and staying on HIV meds can turn this around. Otherwise the prognosis is very poor.

Hep B Viral DNA QT
aids or hiv

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint