sudden VL increase; cd4 stable
Dec 16, 2006
Dr. Holodiny: I am a medication naive HIV+ pt (dx in 02/2005); in my latest labs, CD4 increased from 420 to 488, but VL jumped precipitously from 50K to 320K. What might explain this? I did get a flu-like virus before these tests (bronchitis, fatigue, psoriasis outbreak) which has since cleared. Could HIV re-infection also cause this? Thanks
Response from Dr. Holodniy
Flu or infection with another HIV strain could cause the viral load to increase.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Risk Of HIV Transmission From French Kissing
- Chills After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Ear Infection After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Rectal Bleeding After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Warts In Your Mouth?
- Can You Get Warts With Gonorrhea?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.