Viral Load

I am 31yrs of age and recently diagnosed in may2006. My cd4 was 281 and viral load 750,000. I starte medication being truvda and sustiva in july 2006. I have just had recent labs (decembner06) and my cd4 is now at 340 and viral load is 287. with a percentage of 19.7%. My question is how long should it take for the viral load to be undectable once mediaction is started. I am alittle concerned as its now been 4months and still not undectable. I also have KS and am told that the haart treatment should cure my KS. Is this an indication that my medication may not be as effective as my specialist would like. Thank you

It can take 6 months to get to undetectable, particularly with such a high starting viral load. You can also switch to Atripla, which has all 3 of your meds in one pill taken once daily. If in another month or two you are not undetectable, you may need another med for a while just to knock the virus undetectable. Although KS will regress in most patients, it may take time and more CD4 cells, and in some folks it will not regress without some specific treatment.

CD4 Count at 104
CD4 & Viral Load