Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long I will live from now on?
Dec 16, 2006

I've ben diagnosed HIV positive in 1989. But until 1995 I rejetcted being medicated. When in my Country Argentina de cocktail was popular, I decided being under that medical treatment. My t4 cells where at that time over 400 and my Hiv virus count where under 8.000.

I was under azt, 3tc and nevirapine for few month, but I had to be for three days at hospital because my hematocrite where under 8, because one of the azt side efects. I almost died for that cause.

The coctail was interupted for a year and I begun taken another one, replacing azt for zerit. The problem was I couldn't even walk because a pain in my foots.

I tried another cocktail and the fever was up 40 degres, for days, even taking ibuprofen and tafirol.

I have the cocktail interupted for medical indication. And since then, I do not take any medicin for the HIV.

I don't want to be under a treatment any more. My t cells count is over 200 and my viral count is under 50.000.

But I'm clinicaly ok, a litlle bit fat. I look less than my 51 y.o. I was last november. I work 8 hours daily as a political consultant in the Argentinian Parliament and I'm taking graduate courses in Social sciences at university with a good performance.

I've been in love with an argentinian who owns a JAPANES FOOD RESTAURANT. He is 12 years yonger than me and is studing psicology at UBA university. I share our live with two litlle she-dogs, Peggy, e pekines one and Nina a shi tzu one.

I don't feel nothing because of the Hiv diagnosis, the tcels count and the viral amont.

I feel completely happy with my life nowadays.

Takin in account everthing a wrote above, ¿How long do you think I'm going to live from now on without taking hiv drugs?

from Buenos Aires Argentina

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I think it is unwise to stay off HIV meds, given where your CD4 count and viral load are. Although you have lived with HIV infection for a long time, HIV meds have contributed to your longevity. If you choose to stay off meds, you could live for several years, but AIDS complications will quickly affect you. I think you need to think about your partner and dogs before you make a long term decision about this.

Previous
hep C
Next
I do not anderstand the lab. test.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.