Undectable to High Viral Load in a Few Months

Just received the results of my last blood test taken March 6th. My Viral load has jumped to 49000. My doctor had blood drawn today to geonotype me and verify the Viral load. Previously my Viral Load was 800 on Feb 1st 400 December 28th and undectable (under 50) prior to that. My drug combinations are Viracept and Combivir both taken twice a day. I was very consistant about taking them on time everyday, but always wondered if I was taking the Viracept with enough food since I tend to be a light eater. I always took my morning dose with breakfast, but sometimes I would take the nightly dose with a cookie or nutrition bar. My biggest questions are 1) Can the Viral load jump that fast in a month 2) Since I was compliant with the doses and times, why would I experiance "break-through" now after 2 1/2 years 3) What is the correct amount and type of food to take with Viracept. On a side note, my t-cell count is also rising and is currently in the 400 range.

Viral load could indeed jump like that in one month. It is very possible that the viral load number is indeed accurate. Despite good adherence, we see people fail on the regimen you are on. It is likely that resistance to 3TC and viracept are present. Viracept should be taken with "meals or a light snack", but probably not a high fat meal. MH

latent period / early symptomatic
Why do blood banks want to use PCR?