The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Undectable to High Viral Load in a Few Months

Apr 7, 2001

Just received the results of my last blood test taken March 6th. My Viral load has jumped to 49000. My doctor had blood drawn today to geonotype me and verify the Viral load. Previously my Viral Load was 800 on Feb 1st 400 December 28th and undectable (under 50) prior to that. My drug combinations are Viracept and Combivir both taken twice a day. I was very consistant about taking them on time everyday, but always wondered if I was taking the Viracept with enough food since I tend to be a light eater. I always took my morning dose with breakfast, but sometimes I would take the nightly dose with a cookie or nutrition bar. My biggest questions are 1) Can the Viral load jump that fast in a month 2) Since I was compliant with the doses and times, why would I experiance "break-through" now after 2 1/2 years 3) What is the correct amount and type of food to take with Viracept. On a side note, my t-cell count is also rising and is currently in the 400 range.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Viral load could indeed jump like that in one month. It is very possible that the viral load number is indeed accurate. Despite good adherence, we see people fail on the regimen you are on. It is likely that resistance to 3TC and viracept are present. Viracept should be taken with "meals or a light snack", but probably not a high fat meal. MH

latent period / early symptomatic
Why do blood banks want to use PCR?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint