MY LYMPH NODES AND MY HIV

HI Doc,

i have been poz for about 4 years, my CD4 values are very good, cosistently around 600,my CD8 values are around 1500 my virus levels are low, my main concern is my lymph nodes, from the time i got infected, my lymph nodes have swollen and regressed to normal on a quarterly basis( average), they are tender when they swell. I have asked my doc about it, he said that this is normal as reflectes that your body is continually fighting the virus which is reflected in my numbers, so he doesnt think i need meds yet, But i constantly read that hiv lymph nodes are usually non tender, again he suggested i stop reading the website so much. He sounds confident that these lymph nodes are hiv related and are not cancerous or anything else going on. By the way im not on meds yet if that helps with the question coming up.

Is this normal behaviour for lymph nodes during the disease and for them to be tender, if so, what causes them to be tender?

thank you ever so much for your valued help.

Your doctor is most likely correct. In most cases where there is something else going on, it is highly unlikely that enlarged lymph nodes would regress in size.

November 14, 2006 - first lab test of a hypothetical cure
Meds or not