Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

November 14, 2006 - first lab test of a hypothetical cure
Dec 8, 2006

Test raise hopes of an Aids cure by JOHN HIGGINSON - Tuesday, November 14, 2006 HIV HIV virus

A cure for Aids may be a step closer after scientists discovered a radiotherapy technique destroyed HIV in mice.

Radiotherapy, normally used to treat some forms of cancer, was used on mice injected with human white blood cells which were infected with the virus that can lead to Aids.

The cells were then bombarded with radioactive antibodies that cut the number of infected cells by up to 99 per cent.

The technique offers hope for humans because it kills infected cells.

Existing Aids drugs keep the disease at bay without curing it.

The pioneering work was carried out at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, which hopes to start clinical trials within two years.

Researcher Dr Arturo Casadevall said cure was a 'loaded word' but he was cautiously optimistic about the findings.

'Right now we have drugs that prevent viral replication. We don't have anything that gets rid of infected cells,' he added.

'This raises the theoretical possibility of a cure if we put patients through cycles of therapy. This therapy really attacks the infected-cell factories.'

Roger Pebody, of British Aids charity the Terrence Higgins Trust, said: 'This is a completely new approach to treating HIV and the results in mice are very encouraging.

'However, the strategy has not yet been tested on humans and we could be as long as ten years away from a viable treatment.'

-------------------

My question for you is, after all this how far are we from discovering a cure for HIV? I am not asking when a cure will be publicly available, I am asking when will we see established research that can be called a cure.

Also do you know of any other hypothetical (regardless of practicality) ways of **CURING** HIV?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

In my humble opinion, we are a long way from any cure. And no I am not aware of any hypothetical ways of curing HIV infection.

Previous
Combivir
Next
MY LYMPH NODES AND MY HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.