Chances of catching another HIV strain?

Hello from Toronto,

I went to NYC for Thanskgiving last week and had sex again with the same guy who infected me.. He has been having lot of unsafe sex lately.. I was Top and while having sex, I sensed something wrong and later I saw a LOT of Blood !! He was bleeing terribly!

It was the first time I had sex after my diagnosis and it was unsafe. I'm uncut and saw a red spot on my penis head when I was cleaning myself.. I might be some infection beforehand.

I'm extremely depressed..Nobody will believe that I went out and had sex with the same guy who infected me.. though there were lot of emotions involved.

What are the chances of getting another HIV strain? His blood would have gone in my penis (and body eventually, I think).

My latest labs (October 23) are: CD4 - 1214, CD4% - 48.7, Viral Load - Undetectable.

Not on meds yet and hopefully won't be on for a while.

Please let me know the chances of catching another HIV strain. And since I got infected by him.. what are the chances that I have mild HIV strain than him? His CD4 is 500 and VL - 60K.

Thanks. -R

We don't really have a handle on rates of being infected with an additional strain. We know that it can happen and drug resistant virus can be transmitted this way as well. Part of the difference of the infection is manifesting itself differently in both of you has to do with your underlying immune systems. You might be able to handle the infection somewhat better than he has at this time.

In your opinion
Tenofovir/Creatinine