Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

In your opinion
Dec 2, 2006

In your opinion why do you think that so many people in developed countries are still dying from HIV/AIDS related illnesses? I know that the rate of death has dramatically declined since the development of HAART. I also understand that in undeveloped, poorer countries many people dont have access to health care or life saving drugs. I recently read an obituary in a local paper of a man that died from AIDS. It stated that it "wore" his body down. Do you think it is non-adherence or that people are not getting tested or simply waited to long to get treatment? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Nonadherence to HIV meds is one reason. Other reasons include the aging population with HIV infection and the resultant other medical illnesses like cancers, heart and lung disease and hepatitis infections that contribute to increased morbidity and mortality in HIV infected people.

Previous
Hep c loads
Next
Chances of catching another HIV strain?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.