Declining CD4 %

Positive for 4 years. Not on meds. Age 65. Consider myself in good shape & health (no colds, flu in years)

Blood work every 3 months.

CD4 counts consistently around 500 until most recent which was 350. CD4 % steadily declining (started at 48% and now 22% during past 4 years.

CD8 jumped 1 year ago from 350 to 800 level and has remained at that level.

CD4/CD8 ratio declined markedly over 4 years.

VL usually 25,000-30,000 with occasional jumps to 50,000-60,000. Currently 28,000.

Is it normal for CD4 % to gradually decline? Is a jump in CD8 from 350 to 800 normal after 3 years of infection?

Do you think I'm close to requiring meds (declining CD4 % and high CD8)?

Thanks a bunch.

Hmmm... I don't like the trend of both CD4 count and percent decline over time. This is a common finding we see in people not on treatment. An increase in CD8 count is a natural reaction to HIV infection. You are getting close to the point where I would advise starting HIV treatment.

lymph nodes
labs