low platelet count

hi

i was diagnosed with hiv in december 05. i started haart on 1st June 06 due to my platelet count dropping to 30k. my most recent blood results show that my cd4 is 576 and viral load undetectable. however my platelet count is only 17k. surely if my low platelet count was hiv related then the haart treatment would increase the platelet count?? what else could be going on?? it has me and my doctor baffled..

In most cases low platelet counts associated with HIV infection will respond to HIV treatment. In some cases it will not. You always need to look at what meds (hiv or other meds) or over the counter products you might be taking that could affect platelet counts. It may require further workup (such as a bone marrow biopsy) to determine if it is a production problem (not making enough) or consumption problem (being destroyed to fast). Sometimes a hematologist needs to get involved and other treatment needs to be given.

viral load
shphillis