The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 CD4% CD8 Explain please in simple terms

Oct 4, 2006


Could you explain the link between CD4 and CD4%.

Could I also have your comments on my results - SHOULD I BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE CD4/CD4% - what sort of increase should I be seeing/expecting.

Also what is CD8, this result is never mentioned - do I need to know it and if so what should it be.

Feb - Diagnosed weight loss/KS fever night sweats VL >100,000 CD4 136 17% Second results VL >100,000 CD4 220 18% March - started Sustiva/Truvada

April - VL 1500 CD4 330 25%

May - VL 300 CD4 300 19%

July - VL 200 CD4 240 18%

August - VL <50 CD4 240 17% - KS dramatically disappearing, weight gain, no sweats or fevers.

This might seem odd questions as I feel and look OK, but feel my numbers should be better but maybe not - I am 39 don't smoke, drink rarely, no drugs, 100% adherent

thank you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The CD4 count is the absolute number of cells and the CD4% is the percentage of t lymhocytes that are CD4+. Your CD4 increase, in terms of absolute count is terrific. Your percentage increase is lagging a bit, but I predict will increase now that your viral load is undetectable. CD8 cells, or cytotoxic t cells, are the main cell type that fights the virus. The count and percentage usually goes up with HIV infection. This is an indication that your immune system is trying to do it's job in fighting the infection.

Stocrin (Sustiva) and hiv-2.
Law and Order SVU

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint