Stocrin (Sustiva) and hiv-2.

Hi doc. Mark.

Im a Dutch man living with my Dutch boyfriend in Holland. I tell this, because my partner has hiv-2 infection (hiv-1 neg.) which is rare for an European man in a north European country. He is getting trivizir (abacavir, lamivudine, zidovudine) AND Stocrin (efavirenz.) [ Note: I think in USA Stocrin is called Sustiva, not sure, BUT the active component IS efavirenz. ] NOW MY QUESTION: Ive read that efevirenz does nothing or almost nothing agains hiv-2 virus. 1.) Why Stocrin? 2.) Is he protected enough by the whole combinations I mentioned? Added info: My partner allreaddy gets this combi for years. Undetectable VL for years. CD4 counts years ago: 400, now - 500/ 600 last years. Note: In 1996 he started with CD4 20 (got other meds) and very sick aids.) Now, allreaddy for many years, in very good health and no side effects and fulltime job. Docs are satisfied. still I have this question about Stocrin. What do you think? Your opinion/ vision I will appreciate. Thanks. John.

There is not a lot of published data about this question. However, you are correct to question the use of efavirenz for HIV-2 treatment. Published data would suggest that of the HIV-2 strains tested, most are resistant to efavirenz or the NNRTI class in general.

Totally confused
CD4 CD4% CD8 Explain please in simple terms